Monday, August 4, 2008

Golf Swing Improvement

While at the driving range practicing to improve my swing fundamentals I met a fellow that had just started playing within the last year or so. He was in the stall next to me and kept saying what a good swing I had even though in my opinion it works well sometimes but is something I want to improve upon. At any rate, I was hitting some pretty decent golf shots.

After a couple of rest periods in the heat down here in Miami at 3 in the afternoon, I finally broke down and did what I typically don't do and that is to give advice to another golfer. I had never met this fellow before but it was obvious that he was surely afflicted with the great game. He wanted to improve.

So, I gave him three pieces of advice. Study the greats and spend a little time each day working on improving your fundamentals of the golf swing and take a series of lessons concentrating onputting and your short game from 60 yards to the pin. I told him to spend the $10-15 on 'The Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan and spend the $60 or so to buy the 'Ben Hogan Collection' 3 DVD set and software CD. I told him he would not regret it and that it would be the best $$ he could spend on golf ever. Of course, he already had his matched set of clubs, etc. and was spending regularly on practice balls at the range. Not a real push on truth from my perspective, that's for sure.

I let him know that almost every golf professional marvels at Mr. Hogan's golf swing, tries to emulate it in some ways, and most assuredly has a copy of the 'Five Lessons'. They would have read it a lot of times in their search for improvement.

I might see him again some day at the range and maybe not. But, I am confident that I had done one of those good things and helped someone else play golf better in the future. If they buy the book, if they practice, and if they watch Mr. Hogan on the dvds. Not really a tall order for someone who looked like they loved the game.

No comments: